- Water fresh trees daily - Keep
the base of the trunk in water at all times and keep your tree away from
any ignition sources.
- Check all sets of lights
before decorating -Check the cords closely. Discard any sets that are
frayed or damaged.
- Make sure you have working smoke
alarms - Test your smoke alarms and replace them if they are over 10
- Make sure you have working carbon
monoxide alarms - Replace any carbon monoxide alarms over seven years old.
- Make sure everyone knows how to
get out safely if a fire occurs - Develop and practice a home fire escape
plan with all members of the household.
- Use extension cords wisely - Make
sure cords never go under rugs as this can cause damage to the cord and
cause a fire.
- Give space heaters space - If you
are using space heaters, remember to keep them at least 3 feet away from
anything that can burn.
- When you go out, blow out! - Blow
out candles before leaving or going to bed. Keep lit candles away from
children, pets and anything that can burn.
- Keep matches and lighters out of
the sight and reach of children - Matches and lighters can be deadly in
the hands of children.
- Watch what you heat! - Always
stay in the kitchen when cooking; especially if using oil or high
- Encourage smokers to smoke
outside - If you do allow smoking indoors use large, deep ashtrays that
can't be knocked over and make sure cigarette butts are properly
- There's more to
responsible drinking than taking a cab home - Keep a close eye
on anyone attempting to cook or smoke while under the influence.