Photos of Buckhorn and Trent Lakes in Harvey Ward - Brad Sinclair Flat Rate Realty
Welcome to Buckhorn
Buckhorn General Store
Lower Buckhorn Channel
Buckhorn Fire Hall
Buckhorn Ball Diamond
Buckhorn Public School
Buckhorn Community Centre
That, a little way down Adam & Eve Road, on the north
side, you will see 2 large glacial rocks. Folklore has it that if a young
couple can hold hands and each touch one of the rocks, their lives will be
If nothing more it is worth the drive to Buckhorn to have a slice of Pizza at "Pizza Alloro"
Buckhorn Wall of Honour next to Lock 31 in Buckhorn. Carolle Beyour created the 4 by 10 foot memorial to honour 158 Canadian soldiers that were killed in the line of duty in Afghanistan.
Cody Inn. Perched on a little hill, in Buckhorn, overlooking
The first thing you see entering the village is the "Buckhorn Buck"
Parks Canada Info: Buckhorn Lock 31
In 1828 John Hall purchased property on both sides of the rapids in what is now known as
Buckhorn, and over the next four years constructed a dam and mill. By the 1850’s and 60’s, the
dam was rebuilt, as well as a 642 foot long bridge. A timber slide, piers and booms were included
in the new work to support the area’s logging activity and by the latter part of the century , a
bustling milling community stood. By 1887 a lock was in operation, having incurred extra time
and expense due to the difficulties in both drilling through the pre-Cambrian granite of the
Canadian Shield, and labour shortages in this part of the country at the time.
Although the lumber industry remained an important commercial undertaking at Buckhorn,
there was a concerted effort to promote the tourism potential of the waterway. With the advent
of rail service it was clear the original commercial imperatives that had prompted the
government to complete through-navigation from Lake Ontario to Georgian Bay were no longer
necessary. Between 1920 and the 1930’s, representatives from communities all along the
waterway participated in the Trent Waterway Development Association, designed to promote
In the 1960s the Department of Transport initiated a major upgrade of facilities along federal
canals due in part to significant increases in recreational boating. Major renovations to the
Buckhorn lock, including mechanizing operation and some conversion to concrete, were
undertaken in 1972. Along with this change a new high level concrete bridge was built which
completely bypassed the lock. Today, the lock at Buckhorn rivals both Bobcaygeon Lock 32, and
Couchiching Lock 42 as the busiest lock each navigation season.
is well underway on repairing masonry repair work to Lock 31 in Buckhorn, the
long term impact of which will enable this popular tourism asset to continue
operations for many years
Looking South Into Buckhorn Lake
Sandy Beach The small cove at the south end of Sandy Lake about six
kilometres west of Buckhorn, Ont. on Lakehurst Rd.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.