Market Hall clock tower
Our clock was constructed in 1889 at Market Hall and is the principal monument of our downtown. The clock is recongnized as a heritage building. The importance as a centre piece of our downtown and cultural faclitity is as much as the Liftlock and Little Lake Fountian is to Peterborough. The exterior features four clock faces, dormers, bell, metal cornices and louvered openings. Other features to look for is the tall window openings with two pane, double hung sash windows and half round, multi-pained transom. The west side of the facade adorned with the City of Peterborough Coat of Arms. The clock was the work of John E Belcher and is one of only a few 19th Century market buildings still in existence. Mayor James Stevenson laid the cornerstone in the fall of 1889 and it officially opened in 1890 taking one full year to build. Thomas Rutherford was the contractor. A farmers market operated inside and outside the building for decades until the advent of the supermarket. City of Peterborough repurchased the clock in 2000 and restored the clock.
Another cool article: Click Here
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.